IT

I remember when the Stephen King movie IT came out on TV.  I won’t lie.  I don’t have a phobia of clowns, but you gotta admit…this guy will mess with your dreams!




I read an article the other day that reminded me of Pennywise.  As a matter of fact, here it is, right here.


What’s that you say?  Doesn’t look that scary to you?  Probably not.  But when I read it, it instantly struck a note of panic deep within me.  Because this article strikes home.  Benjamin has had more than a few MRI’s with contrast over his battle with Langerhans Cell HIstiocytosis.  As a matter of fact, he’s had so many MRI’s that we bought him a shirt that says “One more MRI and I’ll stick to the fridge”. 

So, when I read that the metal contrast that they use in MRI’s has been found inside the brain tissue of patients YEARS after their last MRI, I begin to worry.  You see, I have long worried that there is something “wrong” with Benjamin.  Not recurrent cancer wrong, but something off.  Benjamin has always been a very intellectually driven individual.  Some of that is probably because he spent most of his younger years (2-4) primarily around doctors and nurses and not children.  But my paranoia runs deeper than that.  Last year Benjamin’s math teacher approached me and let me know that she was beginning to be worried with Benjamin’s progress.  Seems that during his timed tests, Benjamin insisted on going straight down a row instead of skipping around to problems he knew.  His teacher had already told him multiple times to do this technique, but he would not.  When I talked to Benjamin about it, he said that he knew he was supposed to do it that way, but it just felt WRONG and he couldn’t do it. 

Now I’ll spare you several paragraphs of boring stories about Benjamin and I’ll cut right to the chase.  I am fairly certain that Benjamin has something close to OCD.  I am not the only one to have noticed these tendencies, and they have been noted in the academic environment and outside of it, which makes me think that this is a holistic problem.  We do not have an official diagnosis for Benjamin for two reasons.  One, there is not a neuropsychologist in the hospital that Benjamin goes to.  Two, since we have begun living a “normal” life as a family, I am hesitant to drag us back into the medical sphere. 

You see, it’s a catch 22 as it were.  I know something is wrong.  Counseling and/or therapy could probably help.  But there is a part of me that desperately wants to stick my head in the sand and say “NO!  Everything is FINE!  He beat cancer, and we are a normal family now, damn it!”

And therein lies the problem for post-cancer survivors.  We desperately want to live the new “normal” lifestyle.  However, just like in IT, years later our own personal Pennywise’s come knocking at our door scaring the crap out of us.  “What’s that lump on his head?!”  “Could it be recurring cancer or did he just bump his head?” “Why can’t my son run as fast as the other children his age?” “Is it because gadolinium build ups on his brain have damaged his motor functions, or is he just out of shape.”  And on and on Pennywise whispers to us in the night.




0 comments:

Blogger Template by Blogcrowds